Social Marketing really levels the playing field for the average person marketing online. Because it is still “the wild west” you come in and rather quickly dominate your niche when you do it right.
There are, however, a few things you need to know before you get started. So here are 7 wimausa Things You Must Know Before You Get into Social Marketing:
7 Things You Must Know Before You Get into Social Marketing
1) It’s called “SOCIAL” Marketing for a reason – A big mistake I see many new marketers make is jumping on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and others, and begin to market right away. This is the best and fastest way to be ignored. It’s called Social Marketing for a reason – you need to be social! Communicate, interact, ask and answer questions – be a member of the community first.
2) You CAN Market – Having said that, the good news is you can market. Some will tell you that you can’t, but they are wrong. Because of the incredible reach you have when you build a presence on the Social Media platforms, this is one of the best places you can market. When you are a social and helpful member of the community you earn the right to market and be heard.
3) Online Visibility – You do however, have to be prepared to be visible online. You can get a great deal of visibility, and you need to be prepared for some of the silliness that comes with it. For instance, not everyone is going to like what you have to say. You have to be prepared to take it in stride.
4) Traffic -Related to online visibility, you also want to be prepared for the amount of traffic that can come your way. Just make sure you have good places to send people who want more good information from you.
5) List Building – Here is something many people do not realize – Your Twitter followers are a list. Your Facebook friends and fans are a list. Your YouTube subscribers are a list. And you need to be prepared to take good care of your lists.
6) Time Suck – If you are not careful, you can get sucked down the rabbit hole and spend all of your time on this. Set a timer, automate what you can, integrate what you can.
7) You can make money with Social Marketing – People will tell you that you cannot make money with Social Marketing. They are wrong, they are your competition, and this is a good thing! You can and should be making regular offers on all your sites in Social Marketing.